Saturday, October 31, 2015

A New Fall Favorite in PreK - A Book About Scarecrows

As we have been exploring FUN FALL themes in preschool, it came to light that some of my students were unfamiliar with Scarecrows.  We set out to learn more and that's when our amazing librarians introduced us to ... 

The Big Snuggle-Up by Brian Patten and Nicola Bayley



This beautiful story is told by a child who invites an “old scarecrow” into the house during an early winter snowstorm.  The scarecrow asks to bring a mouse and they are followed by several more furry (or feathered) friends.   All are graciously welcomed in to "snuggle up."

On the day I read The Big Snuggle-Up with my Preschoolers we had our first snowfall of the season (in OCTOBER!)  It was the perfect match.

The book is loaded with so many things that an SLP craves in a good read with children:

  • A great seasonal theme,
  • A simple plot that celebrates cooperation, kindness, and friendship,
  • Some higher level vocabulary anchored by easy to understand language
  • Rhyming, repetition, predictability,
  • And…it’s loaded with blends…especially “s” blends

I simply love this newfound book and have added it to my list of Fall/Winter favorites!    I expect I will be pulling out The Big Snuggle Up again in the months to come as the snow falls outside of our cozy PreK classroom.  Who knows,  we just might invite some furry (or feathered) friends to join us.

This book, originally published in 2011,  is currently out of print.  But I found a used one, with FREE shipping, at Abe Books.

Finding a great new book to share with my preschoolers is one of my favorite things!  
How about you?  What great books have you discovered this Fall?  What are your old standbys?

Please share them in the comments.  I would love to check them out.

Thanks for stopping by,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment